Re: Importing libraries for the kernel

> On Dec 14, 2018, at 2:16 PM, Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 01:00:25PM -0500, Mouse wrote:
>> I also disagree that asymmetric crypto is necessarily all that complex.
>> Some asymmetric crypto algorithms require nothing more complex than
>> large-number arithmetic.  (Slow, yes, but not particularly complex.)
>
> Correct and fast implementations of large number arithmetic are
> complex, esp. if you also want to avoid the typical set of timing leaks.
> This applies to operation sets used by RSA as well as those used by ECC.
> Different classes of operations, but a mine field to get right.

Indeed, side channel attacks of all kinds.  There are lots of ways to
get into trouble.  Consider the acoustic attack on RSA that allowed
researchers to recover private keys by listening to the sound made by
cellphones running the RSA algorithm.
https://www.cs.tau.ac.il/~tromer/papers/acoustic-20131218.pdf

	paul