Re: NetBSD-8 kernel too big?

On Thu, 30 Aug 2018, Greg Troxel wrote:

Two thoughts:

 When trimming, ls -lSr in the kernel build directory will identify
 large objects.

 We have had kernel modules for a while, but I'm not entirely clear on
 where we are.  I would think that moving to a mode of aggressively not
 including things that can be modules and loading them from the fs as
 needed would help, particularly if the issue is the bootloader, vs
 memory used up when running.   This is not build as part of an -8
 release build, but there is MODULAR in the conf directory.

I've been running a load-everything-as-modules-when-needed system for
years.  :)  My 8.99.22 kernel weighs in at under 12MB:

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  12102488 Jul 26 14:00 /netbsd

| Paul Goyette     | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:          |
| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee dot com   |
| Kernel Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette at netbsd dot org |