NetBSD-8 kernel too big?

My latest build of NetBSD 8 results in a kernel size of 24,964,488
bytes.  Not sure if "kernel" is really the right term any more.  :-)

I have installed it on all of my servers except for one.  It is a HP
ProLiant DL160se G6.  The failure is something like this:

Read header failed: input/output error
Boot: ad0a:netbsd: input/output error

I did find something on the net about FreeBSD that suggests that this
can be fixed by disabling a memory hole in the bios but this system does
not seem to have that option.

The 7.1 kernel that boots is 17,812,998 bytes making it just over 16MB.
I am not sure how much of the file actually loads into memory but this
sounds close to a boundary.

I tried removing a bunch of stuff but I run the same kernel on multiple
servers and figuring out what to drop isn't that easy.  Removing a bunch
of stuff that seemed safe didn't make much difference.

I saw these two warnings in the dmesg output:

ACPI BIOS Warning (bug): 32/64X length mismatch in FADT/Gpe0Block:
128/64 (20131218/tbfadt-634)
ACPI BIOS Warning (bug): Incorrect checksum in table [OEMB] - 0x29,
should be 0x28 (20131218/tbprint-237)

The first is also in anther server's dmesg which boots the new kernel
fine and research on the net suggests that the second doesn't matter.

Anyone know what my next steps are?

Cheers.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost>