Re: Too many PMC implementations

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 05:09:35PM +0200, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:

> Observing that all the useful profiling is already done with DTrace, we
> can remove complexity from the kernel with negligible cost.

I'm not sure what to make of this.  I'm trying to come up with a way to
make the above statement true, and I'm having some difficulty.

You can't possibly mean "Observing that (unproven premise), therefore
(conclusion)", so I'll discard that interpretation.

Do you perhaps mean "*If* we were to observe that all useful profiling
were done with DTrace, *then* we could remove complexity from the
kernel with negligible cost"?

Because Ragge and others have been pointing out that in that case,
the premise "all useful profiling is done with DTrace" does not appear
to be true.  Profiling kernel code on VAX may not be useful *to you*
but that does not imply it is "not useful" simpliciter.

--
 Thor Lancelot Simon	                                     tls%panix.com@localhost
  "Whether or not there's hope for change is not the question.  If you