Re: Too many PMC implementations

On 23.08.2018 16:28, Anders Magnusson wrote:
> Den 2018-08-23 kl. 15:53, skrev Maxime Villard:
>>>
>>> Speaking realistically, probably all the recent software-based kernel
>>> profiling was done with DTrace.
>>
>> Yes. So I will proceed.
>>
>> Note that the removal of the kernel gprof implies the removal of kgmon.
> Just checking:  How will it work for ports like vax?
> When searching for bottlenecks I normally use gprof/kgmon.  I don't know
> anything about DTrace, hence the question.
>
> -- Ragge

There is no support of DTrace for vax and probably there won't be one.
Also probably DTrace is not a final solution per se (DTrace is described
as step backwards by people such as Brendan Gregg).. but we are working
on better toolchain support to open more possibilities such as XRay.

Regarding vax there might be bottlenecks in MD code, but DTrace is a
decent one for MI code on supported ports.