Re: Call for testers - Audio improvements for NetBSD 8.1

On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 06:15:34PM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
>     Date:        Sat, 23 Jun 2018 10:49:51 +0200
>     From:        Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost>
>
> Unrelated to the topic, but ...
>
>   | The kernel has a limited number of softints,
>
> Why?

because AFAIR the softint infrastructure uses bitmasks, and the
bitmask is of finite size. I don't remember the details, but this
prevented me from upgrading some servers to netbsd7: in netbsd7 bridges
uses several soft interrupts (this was not the case in netbsd-6), and I have
too many bridges. in netbsd-8 bridges have been fixed to use less
softints, so I can run netbsd-8.