Re: Revisiting uvm_loan() for 'direct' write pipes

On May 21, 2018, at 12:49 PM, Jaromír Doleček <jaromir.dolecek%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

Mostly since I want to
have at least one other consumer of the interface before I consider it
as final, to make sure it covers the general use cases.

BTW, I was thinking about this, and I think you need to also handle the case where you try the ubc_uiomove_direct() case, but then *fall back* onto the non-direct case if some magic error is returned.  The idea here is that some CPUs will have to flush caches if the cache index of the direct-mapping of the page is incompatible with the cache index of any of the other mappings of the page (in the case of virtually-indexed caches).  These cache flushes could be potentially very expensive.

Either that, or have a global “opt-in to PMAP_DIRECT I/O” that affects all of the code paths you want to support, that can be called conditionally from machine-dependent code.

-- thorpej