Re: Proposal to obsolete SYS_pipe

On Dec 24, 2017 11:10 PM, "Robert Elz" <kre%munnari.oz.au@localhost> wrote:
    Date:        Sun, 24 Dec 2017 18:42:19 -0800
    From:        John Nemeth <jnemeth%cue.bc.ca@localhost>

  | HISTORY
  |      A pipe() function call appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX.

That I think would be a man page bug - pipe() was certainly in 5th
edition, but that is as far back as I go, so I am not sure when it
did appear - the syscall number suggests it was not in the very early
versions though (not 1st or 2nd edition probably.)

It is in the 3rd edition man pages, but is documented with only one return code. The 4th edition manual looks very similar, but does have both values documented. The source is fragmentary so it's hard to track down. 2nd edition has no manuals, but no pipe in libc.

I just went through FreeBSD's system call man pages and corrected a number of details like this...

Warner