Re: PMFE_RADIO_TOGGLE events

On Mon, 4 Dec 2017, Martin Husemann wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 04, 2017 at 12:29:10PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > The question would then be: how do radio device know the state
> > at e.g. ifconfig up time ?
>
> It wouldn't ;-)

> But the backend drivers could inform it of changes induced by ifconfig?

Seems complex. The process which turns the interface off can either record
the state, or discard the state. When the process turns it on it can
either try to restore the state or create an initial state (as if the
machine had simply booted up). The latter seems more sensible to me

In NetBSD at least, there are two sets of settings for such interfaces.
There is the *current* state (how you twiddled it with ifconfig) and there
is the *saved* state (how you set it to boot up as). With Windows and OSX
(which I use sometimes at work) I don't think there is such a distinction?
If I change something, that is the way the settings are and that is how
they will come back up after a reboot. I don't know how other OSs
(FreeBSD, Ubuntu, ...) would handle this?

iain