Re: ext3 support

I share pretty much the same sentiment.

ext3/ext4 journalling support is not very useful, as it's not likely to be used for anything more critical then sharing files between Linux and NetBSD. Ext3 journal would have to be complete reimplementation - NetBSD wapbl is not usable nor sufficient for ext3 needs.

Practically speaking it would be more useful to finish support for the other miscellaneous features, like extents, dirhash, or extended attributes. You'd be more then welcome to help there.

Jaromir

In article <MWHPR13MB1390A54D6897C09BDC657AE0E25B0@MWHPR13MB1390.namprd13.prod.outlook.com>,
Abhirup Das  <abhirup.das%hotmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I just came across the ext3 implementation project listed on the netbsd
>website, https://wiki.netbsd.org/projects/project/ext3fs/
>and I would like to take the time to implement this. But I am not too
>sure on how to start this project, I have read up on journaling and I
>understand the added work that journaling needs to perform.
>However I am sure ext3 needs more than just journaling, but I havent
>come across a specifications list for ext3 yet. Any advice on how to
>start this project would be greatly appreciated.

So this is a bit complicated issue. I am not sure if adding journaling
support is worth it (compared to the amount of time it will take to
implement it) because you can always mount the filesystem on linux,
recover from the journal and then use it on NetBSD. OTOH there has
been some ext3/ext4 work done as part of GSoC 2016...

https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/archive/2016/projects/5183714946449408/

Finishing the RW support for it might be a more useful endeavor.

christos