Re: amd64: kernel aslr support

>>> Live kernel update is a much more complicated business, [...]
>> [I]t occurs to me that [the "live-kernel update" text] could have
>> been intended to refer not to updating the kernel without disturbing
>> a running system but rather to something more along the lines of
>> [making] the kernel [] play bootloader for a new kernel.
> I think the real point is updating a running system without
> interrupting the services it provides (apache etc).

Probably could be done, but it would need a lot more work than just
this.  As I understand the prekern, it would be of almost no use for
that; most of the pain will, I think, be in migrating a running
userland between kernels (especially if they are different in certain
important ways - if the kernel/user ABI differs, for example, I doubt
anything using the affected portions can migrate).

> There is, I think, little interest in pseudo-reboots via the prekern,
> except wanting a fast reboot - which is still not really useful.

It would be useful to me.  (Well, not in this form; I do not expect to
be using this prekern. I just mean I would really like to see reboots
cut out the time between the old kernel deciding to reboot and the
bootloader loading the new kernel.  The trip back through the BIOS can,
and on some of my machines does, turn what could be a fifteen- or
thirty-second reboot into a multi-minute reboot.)

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign