Re: Proposal: Disable autoload of compat_xyz modules

On 02.08.2017 22:40, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 09:17:05PM +0200, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
>> I think we can go into a different direction. Instead of disabling the
>> code - we could turn all compat_ into dynamically loadable modules. I
>> would profit from it for functional out-of-the-box compat for older
>> NetBSD releases (a.out executables).
>
> No, please not. It is already quite unclear how many of them even work
> properly and a GENERIC kernel should continue to work as it is. If you
> want a MODULAR kernel, pick one. Don't force it on every one else.
>
> Joerg

I was experimenting with MODULAR and this kernel certainly needs more
work - after fixing some bugs it was still broken for me. I feel like
going the path to improve modules and develop syscall fuzzers on releng
machines is better than removing code from GENERIC.

Paul mentioned few bugs that have to be addressed. I try to help the
current efforts with fuzzing the rump kernels.

I cannot help with compat layers now, first I will attempt to get better
debugging facilities inside the kernel like perhaps kasan.