Re: Proposal: Disable autoload of compat_xyz modules

On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 07:56:50AM -0700, Brian Buhrow wrote:
> 	Hello.  My feeling is that the cost of requiring a modload to use
> compat_linux and compat_linux32 is fine.  My concern is that by taking it
> out of the GENERIC kernel configuration, we lose the regular testing, such
> as it is, with the daily builds.  Sure, the module gets built, but it could
> be a while before it gets loaded and run by the test harness.  Today, with
> these modules in GENERIC, the modules get loaded as a matter of course.
> Is there a way to rig our test harness so that you can take the modules out
> of the GENERIC kernel configuration and still do more than compile-time
> test them?

The tests exercise quite a few modules, but currently testing compat stuff
is tricky (due to the extra setup needed on the test machine to have a
create the compat runtime environment).

Just doing a few modctl and load some of them is simple, but what does that
actually buy us?

Martin