Re: Proposal: Disable autoload of compat_xyz modules

On Wed, 2 Aug 2017, Michael van Elst wrote:

paul%whooppee.com@localhost (Paul Goyette) writes:

At least for x86 architectures, you can easily edit /boot.cfg to include
the required load commands.  This causes the boot loader to "push" the
modules before init gets started.

You can also load modules listed in /etc/modules.conf at boot time.

Yes, /etc/modules.conf will also work, however modules listed there are loaded at a much later point in time.

But unlike autoloading the machine has to reboot if you want to
change the loaded modules.

If you're using /etc/modules.conf, why not just modunload the modules you want to remove? (Modules "pushed" from /boot.conf cannot be unloaded, as far as I understand.)

| Paul Goyette     | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:          |
| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee dot com   |
| Kernel Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette at netbsd dot org |