re: Can't compile NetBSD kernel in Virtual Box due to assym.h error

On Wed, 5 Jul 2017, matthew green wrote:

> Robert Elz writes:
> >     Date:        Tue, 04 Jul 2017 07:24:43 +0100
> >     From:        Robert Swindells <rjs%fdy2.co.uk@localhost>
> >
> >   | You are running NetBSD/amd64 but trying to build a NetBSD/i386 kernel
> >   | using the native tools, that won't work.
> >
> > Groan.  So wrapped up in my own issues about this I totally missed that!
>
> it should be able to work.  all you need to use to -m32 and the
> equiv for as/ld options.  adding them to all i386 builds should
> be OK, they're the default there anyway.

You don't want to make this seamless 'cause then Devin would have
successfully compiled and installed a brand new i386 kernel and then when
he tried to reboot with an amd64 root, the system would be dead.  Best to
force an explicit cross compile in these circumstances.

Eduardo