Re: Can't compile NetBSD kernel in Virtual Box due to assym.h error

>>> You are running NetBSD/amd64 but trying to build a NetBSD/i386
>>> kernel using the native tools, that won't work.
>> [...]
> it should be able to work.  all you need to use to -m32 and the equiv
> for as/ld options.  adding them to all i386 builds should be OK,
> they're the default there anyway.

Perhaps for the particular case of amd64 and i386.  But I would argue
that it'd be a bad idea, because amd64 and i386 are common enough that
it runs the risk of teaching people to think that cross-compilation
automatically Just Works, when amd64 cross-building i386 is one of the
few cases that work (the only one, until things like ppc64/ppc32 or
mips64/mips32 are also set up to Just Work).

In fact, I would argue that config and/or the kernel Makefile should
check that either the kernel is being built for the native architecture
or it is _explicitly_ cross-building.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign