Re: wscons/wsmux question

On Sun, 18 Jun 2017, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 12:14:41PM +0800, Paul Goyette wrote:

Would anyone object if I were to remove all of the "#if NWSMUX > 0"
conditionals, and simply require the wsmux code to be included (via
files.wscons) whenever any child dev (wsdisplay, wskbd, wsmouse, or wsbell)
is configured?

How much (more) bloat?

I expect zero increase in "bloat", unless someone can identify a useful situation where child devices can exist without being connected to a mux.

The wsmux.c (and wsbellmux.c) code sizes for amd64:

	        wsbellmux.o   wsmux.o
	.text         8e        ddf
	.data          0         50
	.rodata*      14        255
	            ----       ----
	              a2       1084
	           = 162.    = 4228.

	grand total = 4390.

So, less than 4.5KB

Note that this would NOT be an increase over current sizes. As far as I can tell, all kernel configs that include any of the "child" devices already include the wsmux pseudo-device explicitly.

| Paul Goyette     | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:          |
| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee dot com   |
| Kernel Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette at netbsd dot org |