Re: CVS commit: src/sys/sys

On Fri, 24 Feb 2017, Robert Elz wrote:

   Date:        Fri, 24 Feb 2017 09:04:36 +0100
   From:        Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost>

 |  (and we already had a bump just a few hours earlier).

It would indeed be useful if, when a change that requires a kernel version
change is expected to be coming soon, the rest of the community were
notified, so if there are any other changes expected within the following
day or two, they can be co-ordinated to occur at about the same time, even
if that means delaying the original planned commit by a short while.

This actually does happen sometimes, but not with any formality.

In many cases, one might just "ride the previous bump" if it wasn't too long ago - a couple of hours is usually tolerated. It is of course considered "common courtesy" to include a "ride the bump" comment in the commit log to at least gives folks a heads up.

| Paul Goyette     | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:      |
| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com   |
| Kernel Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette at netbsd.org |