Re: CVS commit: src/sys/sys

On Thu, 23 Feb 2017, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:

I'm evaluating it from the osabi (pkgsrc term) point of view. I'm
targeting LLDB for 7.99.62+. If the kernel bump approach is reserved for
loadable kernel modules, I will follow this in future changes.

Modules (and specifically, their interfaces to the rest of the kernel) are only one reason for a kernel bump.

Other reasons might include

* changes to the contents of prop-libs that are passed between kernel
  and userland, or kernel and modules

* changes to structs that might be included in ioctl args

* changes to things that kmem grovelers chase

New values for existing struct members or in enums generally wouldn't need a bump, unless they're accompanied by other changes in data size or content.

And I'm sure that other folks can provide more reasons for having a kernel bump.

| Paul Goyette     | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:      |
| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com   |
| Kernel Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette at netbsd.org |