Re: In-kernel units for block numbers, etc ...

kre%munnari.OZ.AU@localhost (Robert Elz) writes:

>    Date:        Fri, 27 Nov 2015 07:12:50 +1100
>    From:        matthew green <mrg%eterna.com.au@localhost>

>  | FWIW, i "fixed" raidframe on 4K disks a few years back.

>Do we allow mirroring where one drive is 512 byte sectors, and the
>other is 4K ?

>If so (and I'd hope the answer is yes) what happens if the 4K drive
>dies and is replaced by a 512 byte sector drive?

raidframe doesn't handle mixed sector sizes.

The sector size of the raid set is the sector size of the
first healthy component. The sector count is the minimum
sector count of all components.

Saying this, most parts of the code uses the geometry information
from the raid label. It should be possible to fake a suitable label
for the mixed configuration and fix other parts of the code
(like the label reading code).

Booting from this would be another problem, but fortunately there
is no BIOS that supports 4k disks.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost