Re: kern_sig.c

On November 21, 2015 6:13:58 AM EST, Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>I think that renaming things a bit would help people to understand the
>code.
>- postsig() -> sendsig()
>
>This is so badly named and incredibly confusing, as these is a
>function called sigpost() which is completely different.
>
>sigpost() posts a signal to a signal queue.  sigpost() can be called
>from anywhere including interrupt context, because all it does is to
>
>sendsig(), the function which is called as postsig() now, and referred
>to by the signal(9) manual page and comments all over the tree, is the
>sequence of code that is called when a signal is delivered (some
>actual action is taking place).

Er... to me that seems to make things *more* confusing.  My initial instinct would be that "sendsig()" is the thing you use to initiate a signal.  If postsig() happens to actually get renamed, I would suggest "deliver_signal_to_process()" or a suitable abbreviation, but given the history of the current names perhaps just better docs is sufficient.

Eric