Re: POSIX.1 semaphores vs message queues

On Nov 9, 11:15am, Masao Uebayashi wrote:
} On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 9:21 AM, Joerg Sonnenberger
} <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> wrote:
} > On Mon, Nov 09, 2015 at 08:05:43AM +0800, Paul Goyette wrote:
} >> Well, both EXEC_SCRIPT and COREDUMP are modularized, and they _are_
} >> optional.
} >
} > See part about modularity masturbation. Making things optional for the
} > sake of making them optional is just as wrong.
} >
} >> Both EXEC_SCRIPT and COREDUMP are also much smaller than the ksem code;
} >> these two optional/removeable modules together add up to just about
} >> the size of a SEMAPHORE module.  (On amd64 we have exec_script weighing
} >> in at 1285 bytes and coredump at 3895 bytes, while ksem tips the scales
} >> at 5186 bytes).  There are numerous other modules which are similar in
} >> size to the SEMAPHORE module.
} >
} > Add in the page alignment and the cost becomes even larger. There is
} > nothing to be gained.
}
} Please don't (intentionally) confuse module in general and dynamic loading.
}
} For buiit-in modules, the extra size is code added by #ifdef _MODULE.
} In the long run, xxx_modcmd() functions are merged into kctors.  If

     Uh, I don't think so.  Not unless you have one heck of a good
reason.  xxx_modcmd() does more then just initialize the module.
Spreading that stuff all over the place would not be nice.  Also,
we need to be able to pass parameters to the initialization routine
and check the return code.  These are NOT fire and forget routines.

     There is a reason that planned major changes are supposed to
be discussed.  It is so that people know what is happening and to
give people a chance to point out things you might not have thought
of.  "By the way, this is what's going to happen," is not how you
start a discussion.

} other metada consume more than expected, it will be addressed and
} reconsidered.  But that goes away in !MODULAR kernels.  So virtually
} you lose nothing.
}-- End of excerpt from Masao Uebayashi