Re: Interrupt storm mitigation needed

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih%hamartun.priv.no@localhost> writes:

> The uhci pins on the ioapics are chalking up a few interrupts, but not
> many, and no bursts.

Still nothing bad happening, but I did reboot just now, and saw
something that I've observered a few times lately: when the machine was
just sufficiently up that I could log in, 'vmstat -i' told me that the
ioapic pin for uhci2 had already generated slightly more than 210000
interrupts.  The USB port was working nicely, though, and still is, and
I didn't notice any hang during the boot.  That doesn't mean it wasn't
there, of course; the boot process has many little stops and starts, and
the serial dongle on the uhci2 port came on-line, as usual, just when my
/etc/ifconfig.wm0 was sleeping, waiting for the port to auto-negotiate.

Everything looks nice now -- interrupts slowly ticking in on the uhci
ioapic pins, but nothing ugly.  Have started a distribution build, and
we'll see how that behaves.  :)

Oh, and I'm still running in single CPU mode.  Will go SMP tomorrow, if
everything still looks good by then.

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"