Re: Unallocated inode

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 01:51:57PM +1100, Paul Ripke wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 09:25:02AM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 01:22:00PM +1100, Paul Ripke wrote:
> > > slave:ksh$ find /home/tmp > /dev/null
> > > find: /home/tmp/badfile: Bad file descriptor
> >
> > Is that FS on raidframe?
> >
> > I saw something like this once and blamed it on a failing disk (which
> > did show SMART errors shortly afterwards), i.e. I assumed the two
> > halfs of the raid0 would eroneously have had inconsistent data.
>
> It is raidframe; however, this is about the 4th file I've lost, and in
> all cases it has been a corrupted inode... if it was a more general
> failing disk, I'd expect to see corruption in eg. postgres, gzip files,
> even mp3's or avi's.
>
> Just to be safe, I'm running the below now; the filesystem is still
> live, so I know it won't be 100% clean, but it'll be interesting to
> see what it spits out.
>
> ksh$ cmp -l /dev/rwd0a /dev/rwd1a 65536 65536

Well, the cmp completed, and displays no differences (well, one
sector that must've been an in-flight write, since a second run over
those offsets was clean).

This is looking like a filesystem bug/race. Time to spin up a VM
and see if I can reproduce it...

--
Paul Ripke
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds