Re: Unallocated inode

On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 12:00:48PM +0100, Edgar Fu? wrote:
> > Nope, it's inaccessible - again, it was the daily security reports
> > that alerted me:
> >
> > slave:ksh$ find /home/tmp > /dev/null
> > find: /home/tmp/badfile: Bad file descriptor
> I remember having run into the same thing.
> I simultaneously had another FS problem (the kernel repeatedly panic()ing
> on a directory missing . and ..), so I may mix up the two.
> I attributed both to a silently corrupted FFS (after mpt(4) problems which
> made me add the timeout recovery logic to it).
> Fortunately, for me, the problems disappeared after deleting the entry in
> question (maybe the parent directory also, my memory is fuzzy).
> I'm afraid the only clean way out is dump, newfs, restore (I'm very happy
> I didn't had to do that).

I remember something similar either mucking with either async mounts or
in the early days of soft updates... specifically, fsck reported:
CANNOT FIX, FIRST ENTRY IN DIRECTORY CONTAINS xxx
and sure enough, the directory didn't have '.' and '..' as the first
entries. fsdb to the rescue...

> Is there an mpt(4) controller involved? If yes, did you get any timeouts on it?

Nope, no mpt(4). All boring directly connected SATA thru ahcisatai(4).
However, I notice upon closer inspection, I did get a SATA timeout the
night the corruption was noticed:

Nov 23 03:47:10 slave /netbsd: wd0a: device timeout writing fsbn 2165563424 of 2165563424-2
165563455 (wd0 bn 2165563488; cn 2148376 tn 7 sn 39), retrying
Nov 23 03:47:15 slave /netbsd: ahcisata0 port 0: device present, speed: 3.0Gb/s
Nov 23 03:47:15 slave /netbsd: wd0: soft error (corrected)

Next is to figure out the offset of the corrupted inode and see if
this is in the vicinity... (I doubt it - it's a 31 sector write, for
starters).

--
Paul Ripke
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds