Re: arcmsr(4) and SAS

On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 06:21:43AM +0100, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
> Thor Lancelot Simon <tls%panix.com@localhost> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 05, 2014 at 03:52:33PM +0000, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
> > >
> > > But no disk connected to the controller will attach. The Linux driver
> > > does not seems to treat SATA and SAS models very differently. Is there
> > > anything particular to NetBSD when it comes to SAS? I see in the man page
> > > that some other ARCEA SAS board are supported by NetBSD.
> >
> > Have a look at the FreeBSD driver.  It has (last I looked, anyway)
> > an idea of card type: "A", "B", "C", "D", and maybe even "E".
>
> The ARC1380-8i is PCI productID 0x1320. It does not seems to be
> supported either by FreeBSD nor by Linux as of 3.13.

It is a Marvell SAS controller with Areca vendor and product IDs.  For
some reason Areca seem to try to hide this but the Linux driver source
(the FreeBSD driver is binary-only!) makes it pretty clear.

In other words -- I hate to say it, but -- not really an Areca controller.

It would be nice to have a Marvell SAS driver and I am pretty sure there
is an open source one for FreeBSD, but I'm not exactly suggesting you
write or port one just for your own amusement...

Thor