Re: amd64 kernel, i386 userland

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 05:01:42PM +1100, matthew green wrote:

> i think this could be fixed by introducing new disk major numbers for
> both i386 and amd64 that are associated with the same definition of
> major() and minor(), but i've never gotten around to or found someone
> else willing to code this up.

An entirely new disk minor to partition map might be appropriate.
(Without looking at the current mess...)
I think we have (at least) 16 bits of minor number so could
split 8/8, but reserve the high 'disk numbers' for the 'raw disk'
access for all disks.
So minor 0x0204 would be disk 2 partition 4.
Minor 0xff03 would be raw access to disk 3.
Maybe minor 0xfe03 would be the 'netbsd partition (type 169)' if found.

The partition slots for 'whole disk' could then be put where they belong.
I suspect a real VAX might have disks that the hardware can't size,
but nothing else will.

I know I've changed the x86 code to report the actual disk size (for
'd', and maybe 'c') rather than the information that happened to be
in the label.

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost