Re: A Library for Converting Data to and from C Structs for Lua

Am 18.11.13 00:46, schrieb John Nemeth:
> On Nov 17, 11:02pm, Marc Balmer wrote:
> } Am 17.11.13 20:40, schrieb Lourival Vieira Neto:
> } > On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 4:39 PM, David Holland
> <dholland-tech%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
> } >> On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 01:32:03PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> } >>  > >I plan to import it and to make it available to both lua(1) and
> lua(4)
> } >>  >
> } >>  > I wonder if we really need to get all this into NetBSD,
> } >>  > instead of moving it to pkgsrc somehow.
> } >>
> } >> This...
> } >
> } > I think that would be nice to have Lua kernel modules in pkgsrc, if
> possible.
> }
> } No, I don't think so.  They interact to much with the system, they need
> } to be part of the system.
>
>      Uh, no.  The whole idea behind modules clearly means being
> able to use third party code.  We should be able to have modules
> in pkgsrc.  There are no modules in pkgsrc yet, but that's just a
> matter of figuring out the best way to do it.  There is no reason
> why all modules must be included with the system.

The code we write, in contrast to maybe other code, is not third party
code but code written by NetBSD developers for use in NetBSD only.  It
has no business in pkgsrc and pkgsrc does not provide us with the
infrastructure needed to build and maintain the code.  So we happily
stick with the NetBSD Makefile fragments infrastructure which suits our
needs perfectly.