Re: A Library for Converting Data to and from C Structs for Lua

Am 17.11.13 13:05, schrieb Marc Balmer:
> I came accross a small library for converting data to an from C structs
> for Lua, written by Roberto Ierusalimschy:
>
> http://www.inf.puc-rio.br/~roberto/struct/
>
> I plan to import it and to make it available to both lua(1) and lua(4)
> as follows:
>
> The source code will be imported into
> ${NETBSDSRCDIR}/sys/external/mit/struct unaltered and then be modified
> to compile on NetBSD.
>
> Then ${NETBSDSRCDIR}/sys/module/luastruct/ and
> ${NETBSDSRCDIR}/lib/lua/struct/ directories will be added with the
> respective Makefiles etc.

After discussion we lneto@ and others we realised that there are several
such libraries around, and that I as well as lneto@ wrote one.  SO we
decided to merge our works and have a library that allows to
encode/decode structured binary data in one call (my work) and that
allows to access individual fields as well (lneto@'s work).

Now we need a name that covers both uses cases.  It could be "memory"
because it deals with memory, or just "data", which I favour.

Opinions on the name?