Re: amd64 hangs during boot

> > =>Kernel from freshly built sources from this morning on amd64 hangs
> > =>during boot.

> > =>Last message:

> > =>xhci0: xhci_open addr 0 depth 0 port 0 speed 3
>
> >    I got that when I tried booting a -current installer. Disabling
> > the USB 3 host controller in BIOS allowed it to boot, though
> > obviously without the xhci. xhci was just recently added to GENERIC
> > which is why you are seeing it now.

> cvs log says:
> http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/usb/xhci.c#rev1.1
> >> Add work-in-progress xhci(4) driver code.

> and the author said:
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes-d/2013/10/23/msg006179.html
> >> I would like to state at this time that I am not directly responsible for
> >> any unexpected whatevers due to this change.

> So adding xhci into GENERIC looks a bit stupid and
> it should be reverted.

---
> Izumi Tsutsui

I too tried "device xhci" but it hung on boot in amd64.

For i386, non-generic kernel failed to build with xhci and even after removing
xhci;
GENERIC compiled OK.

xhci could be included in GENERIC with # at the beginning of the line and a
note
#experimental: may be broken, use at your own risk

That way, users would know it's a work in progress as opposed to being ignored.

Tom