Re: DIOCGDISCARDINFO and DIOCDISCARD

On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 22:35:59 +0200
Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner%fz-juelich.de@localhost> wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 10:31:39 -0400
> Michael <macallan%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
> > Something related - how difficult would it be to support something
> > TRIM-ish on CompactFlash? Not that I have the faintest clue about ATA
> > in general, let alone the CF-specific extensions...
>
> The CF part should be easy to do. To be useful in practice, it would
> also be necessary to add calls to it from msdosfs. This code is
> a mess. Also, common USB card readers don't support the commands
> needed AFAIK.

I use mine with PATA adaptors:
wd0 at atabus0 drive 0
wd0: <SanDisk SDCFH-008G>
wd0: drive supports 1-sector PIO transfers, LBA48 addressing
wd0: 7629 MB, 15501 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 15625216 sectors
wd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 4 (Ultra/66)
wd0(aceride0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2 (Ultra/33) (using DMA)
( that's what my Sun Blade 2500 boots from so I could get rid of loud
and hot SCSI disks, got another one in a PowerBook where it replaces
the harddisk )
So, there's no msdosfs anywhere. I'm not too concerned about the one in
the Blade since it doesn't get a lot of writes ( just kernel updates
and occasional updates of the rescue filesystem - everythig else is on
a SATA disk ) but the PowerBook is a different story.

> While we are here... I've found some problems with CF cards
> when I plugged them into a PCMCIA slot. First was that it was not
> correctly identified by "atactl". The other that the machine crashed
> on shutdown if the card's filesystem was not mounted, so that
> the slot was powered down.
> If you have your CF cards connected in a similar way (i.e. not
> translated into an "sd" SCSI device), could you try the appended
> patch and see that it does no damage?

Sorry, I have any PCMCIA, CardBus or USB to CF adaptors.

have fun
Michael