Re: NGROUPS/NGROUPS_MAX

On Wed, Oct 09, 2013 at 03:18:23PM +0200, Edgar Fu? wrote:
> I need a certain user to be a member of (or, more precisely, have NFS access
> to the data of) more than 16 groups.
> One way to go would be to use umapfs to map 16 groups to one.
> Is it possible to compile a kernel with a raised NGROUPS or NGROUPS_MAX?
> Is there any downside (apart from slightly higher memory usage)?

NFS can only support 16 groups.  The AUTH_SYS/AUTH_UNIX RPC credential
can only hold 16 groups.  This is typically the primary gid and
the first 15 secondary gids.

Does the user really need to be simultaneously in more than 16
groups?  The user can be in more groups but they'll need to use
newgrp(1) to change their primary group.  Thus effectively shuffling
the gid list.

Recent versions of AIX, Solaris, and Linux contain work-arounds that
essentially by-pass the 16 group limitation (RFC 5531).  The
degree of by-pass varies (the number of additional groups may not
necessarily be unlimited).