Re: Max. number of subdirectories dump

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 03:08:21PM +0200, Manuel Wiesinger wrote:
> When testing, the maximum number of subdirectories was 32767, which is
> (2^15)-1, when trying to add a 32767th directory, I got the error
> message: "Too many links".

This one is simple: a subdirectory has a ".." entry, which increases
the link count in the parent directory, so overall you can not have
more than LINK_MAX subdirectories.

> When my tools reads only the single indirect blocks, it get all 32767
> subdirectories.

This is assuming there are no regular files in the directory. If there
are (first, before the subdirectories), will it still work?

Martin