Re: Max. number of subdirectories dump

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 03:08:21PM +0200, Manuel Wiesinger wrote:
> My question is:
> Is the number of subdirectories really limited by (2^15)-1?

Yes. A subdirectory creates a hard-link to the parent directory's inode
and nlink counter is 16bit. Whether or not that is interpreted as signed
in all places I don't know from memory, but the limit is certainly
smaller than 2^16.

> If, yes why does dump iterate the indirect blocks, when looking for
> subdirectories?

Not sure about whether it is just a more generalised implementation than
necessary.

Note that the Oracle documentation is for a slightly different version
of FFS...

Joerg