Re: vmem(9) (was Re: netbsd-6: pagedaemon freeze when low on memory)

On 2013-03-06 11:07, David Young wrote:
General comment: ISTM that vmem(9) is, and was always intended to be,
a general-purpose allocator of number intervals that may or may not
correspond to memory addresses.  I have actually used it as such.  It is
actually badly named: extent(9) is a better name, but it's taken.  Let
us keep that in mind.

Yes -- the paper [1] referenced at the top of subr_vmem.c says that it's a general number interval allocator. The paper calls it vmem, which is probably why the files/functions are named *vmem*. I agree that it's not a great name, but keeping it consistent with the paper (assuming the implementation matches the paper) has at least a little value.