Re: Questions about LVM compatibility

Hi,

On Feb,Tuesday 26 2013, at 4:07 PM, tech mailinglists
<mailinglists.tech%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I hope this is the right place to ask this question but I think here I will
> get the most reliable answer.
>
> Is the NetBSD implementation of LVM compatible with the Linux implementation
> of LVM?

yes it is. Both are fully compatible.

> I read a little bit about the NetBSD LVM implementation and found out that
> the implementation in the kernel is written completly new and that the
> userland tools are ported from the Linux code. But I found no information
> whether the NetBSD LVM implementation is compatible to the Linux one.

See above.

> The situation is as follows: I have a few servers where I am using Xen. The
> disks I have are actually LVM based and I wan't to switch to NetBSD. This
> would be no problem but there are two things which would be intereseting: Can
> I still use my already created LVMs so the PVs, VGs and LVs in NetBSD? The
> second thing would be they only have a Linux and FreeBSD livesystem for
> rescue reasons. So would I be able to access the LVM volumes from within the
> Linux livesystem when it is needed?

You should be able to manipulate with LVM structures without any problems. But
you will not be able to mount filesystem on them (at least on linux LVs). but
you will be able to access them from Linux VM.

> Hope that someone can give me an answer to these questions.
>
> Best Regards
>
> P.S. Sorry for my bad english and the wrong post mode.

Thanks
Adam

--
Adam Hamsik