Re: Setting up raid correctly

On 25.02.2013 06:23, Bernd Ernesti wrote:
On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 08:36:35PM +0000, Philip Mueller wrote:
[..]

This is not the Problem Bernd.
Have you tried to mount /dev/dk0 (pointed to wd0) after the creation raid0?
dk0 is the raw device for the raid partition which can NOT what
be mounted. You need to creat a partition on the raid label.

First you should destroy raid0 to test such thing.
I have tested your creation on my wd0 storage (same as wd3) with
raid2.conf like yours. If I mount /dev/dk1 (/dev/dk0 by you) it
comes an error:
mount -t ffs /dev/dk1 /mnt
mount_ffs: /dev/dk1 on /mnt: incorrect super block

I do not understand what you try to do

Do you want to creat a raid1 with two drives or what do you want to
use?

In my example for GPT the following workflow has to be done:

* Create a GPT label on the first drive
* Create a raid partition on that GPT
* Configure and initialize the raid
* Create a new GPT label on the newly created raid
* Create a FFS partition in the raid GPT from the previous step
* Newfs and mount it

Now you can fill that new mount point

* Add a nother drive
* Create a GPT label on the second drive
* Create a raid partition on that GPT
* Add that as a spare component to the raid
* Reconstruct the new drive

Bernd

Think you have another system, which does not know anything about raidframe, but it can mount ufs filesystems. My goal is it to mount these raid storages (without dk1 pointed to raid0). I wan't to know, if it is possible to do so.
Example:
dk1 is wedge for raid partition, to mount the raid device ( consists of wd0 and wd3).
dk0 is wedge for wd0, which is a component of raid1.
If the raid ist created, I want to mount dk1  (which is possible)
If the raid is destroyed, you cannot mount dk1, to see the data you should mount dk0 (But this is not possible, cause by partition raid1 and newfs it with shifting of 64kb, wd0 is all in all not readable after destroying the raid, you see the message above). What I am doing wrong? Some people said it is possible, to mount wd0(when raid1 is destroyed) and raid1(when raid1 is on)