Re: Setting up raid correctly

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 08:36:35PM +0000, Philip Mueller wrote:
[..]

> This is not the Problem Bernd.
> Have you tried to mount /dev/dk0 (pointed to wd0) after the creation raid0?

dk0 is the raw device for the raid partition which can NOT what
be mounted. You need to creat a partition on the raid label.

> First you should destroy raid0 to test such thing.
> I have tested your creation on my wd0 storage (same as wd3) with
> raid2.conf like yours. If I mount /dev/dk1 (/dev/dk0 by you) it
> comes an error:
> mount -t ffs /dev/dk1 /mnt
> mount_ffs: /dev/dk1 on /mnt: incorrect super block

I do not understand what you try to do

Do you want to creat a raid1 with two drives or what do you want to
use?

In my example for GPT the following workflow has to be done:

* Create a GPT label on the first drive
* Create a raid partition on that GPT
* Configure and initialize the raid
* Create a new GPT label on the newly created raid
* Create a FFS partition in the raid GPT from the previous step
* Newfs and mount it

Now you can fill that new mount point

* Add a nother drive
* Create a GPT label on the second drive
* Create a raid partition on that GPT
* Add that as a spare component to the raid
* Reconstruct the new drive

Bernd