Re: Setting up raid correctly

On 24.02.2013 13:18, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 01:50:31PM +0100, Philip Mueller wrote:
Thanks for Answer.
I want to create a raid1 for wd3d and component.
And when I boot another system, which does not known anything about netbsd
raid1, can it mount wd3 via mount_ufs2?
For example gmirror on FreeBSD.
I have create raid1 on FreeBSD via gmirror and could mount wd3 on another
system like linux for read (via mount_ufs).
Is this in netbsd also possible or is it only readable in netbsd via raidctl
and dkctl?
You should be able to mount it (read-only because the other disk of the raid-1
won't be updated on write, and as raidframe isn't aware of it things
will go bad) by creating a partition on wd3 that point to the
start of the ffs on disk (wd3d points to the raidframe metadata).
The offset of this partition would be 128 (this is the size of raidframe's
metadata if my memory is right) + the partition's offset in the raid-1
volume.

This sounds good, but how should I mount /dev/wd3 to read the data on this storage? Should I dkctl /dev/wd3?
I can not mount wd3 regular, there is no partition shown on it:
$raidctl -uv raid1 && gpt show wd3d
       start        size  index  contents
           0  3907029168
This is my main problem: When I create a raid and in there a partition as gpt + newfs, I cannot mount this partition without raid.