ioctl for i2c devices

I am in the process of implementing driver for I2C device and need to
read/write to device from user space. I was thinking of using usual
ioctl based mechanism to do it.I don't see any issues in implementing
ioctls for I2C device. But this email thread
seems to suggest that I2c drivers in NetBSD should not use ioctl. I am
not sure if the observations in thread are still relevant.

What is the issue in implementing ioctl for I2C device ?

If I submit I2C driver to NetBSD,will it accepted or rejected ?