Re: re(4) MAC address

On Sun, 2 Dec 2012 07:41:56 +0900
Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui%ceres.dti.ne.jp@localhost> wrote:

> IIRC RTL8139 doc says the chip reads the values from EEPROM automatically.
> We should follow what 8169 doc specifies, but I don't have 8169 docs.

I checked the 8169 doc. In the EEPROM section there is the following
description for EEPROM address 0xe - 0x13:

"Ethernet ID: After auto-load command or hardware reset, the RTL8169
loads Ethernet ID to IDR0-IDR5 of the RTL8169's I/O registers."

As that happens automatically after reset, I would suggest that re(4)
should trust IDR0-IDR5 for the correct address, and not try to access
the EEPROM itself - which might be missing.

> Probably all NASes has the same values in EEPROM?
> (i.e. no re's EEPROM write operations during manufacture)

Your are right. The address read from EEPROM is the same on two different
machines. Probably because it uses default values when the EEPROM is
missing.

--
Frank Wille