Re: RAID on raw partitions (was: disklabel problems on 3TB disc)

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 23:59:19 +0200
Edgar Fuß <ef%math.uni-bonn.de@localhost> wrote:

> > You could always have raid sets on raw partitions.
> Please allow me to be confused.
> I thought I just learned from Greg Oster on May 11 (in
> <20120511113355.38f88d58%mickey.usask.ca@localhost>) that I couldn't have raw
> partitions als RAIDframe components.

The discussion there was whether you could use /dev/rwd0e or /dev/wd0e
as components.  The discussion here is whether /dev/wd0d (for
i386/amd64, for example) can be used directly and without needing a
disklabel.  That is, in the first instance we are talking the
difference between 'raw and cooked' (really, 'character and block') and
in this second instance a 'raw drive' is one that doesn't have a
disklabel (and uses the entire disk).

Hopefully that clears up the confusion a bit :)

Later...

Greg Oster