Re: RAID on raw partitions (was: disklabel problems on 3TB disc)

>> You could always have raid sets on raw partitions.

> I thought I just learned from Greg Oster on May 11 (in
> <20120511113355.38f88d58%mickey.usask.ca@localhost>) that I couldn't have raw
> partitions als RAIDframe components.

There are two meanings of `raw' as applied to disk partitions.

There's `raw' as in the message you mention, which is (eg) /dev/rsd0a
instead of /dev/sd0a.  This is `raw' in that I/O goes more directly to
the disk.  In this sense, you cannot use raw partitions as RAIDframe
members.

And there's `raw' as in RAW_PART, which is (eg) /dev/sd0d instead of
some other /dev/sd0? (on x86; on most other ports, /dev/sd0c).  This is
`raw' in that it bypasses partitioning, allowing access to the whole
disk regardless of partitioning.  In this sense, you can use raw
partitions as RAIDframe members, provided you don't autoconfigure, or
provided you apply the patch that appeared upthread (or a suitable
porting of it if you're not using the version the patch is for).

\ / Ribbon Campaign