How to get CPU-Specific Info?

Hi

The project I'm working on uses the (new) P2020 port
of NetBSD. For various reasons, I'd like to be able to
read the contents of all the internal configuration/etc
registers on the processor (some are general PPC/Booke
regs, some are specific to the 2020).

This code does not exist ---I realize I'll have to
write it. The question I have is whether there is
a machine-independant framework/scheme for retrieving this sort
of info into which processor-specific code would
actually get the info/etc/etc/etc?

There is /proc/cpuinfo --- but this seems to be
oriented more towards things like versions/features/
etc of the actual silicon.  I could add the stuff
I want to this.  Or I could make a new /proc file
(eg "/proc/cpucsrs")

Thanks
Frank Kastenholz
BBN