Re: Path to kernel modules (second attempt)

David Holland <dholland-tech%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 07, 2012 at 08:57:10PM +0100, Mindaugas Rasiukevicius wrote:
>  > Regarding the PR/38724, I propose to change the path to "/kernel/".
>  > Can we reach some consensus quickly for netbsd-6?
>
> If it's going to be a new toplevel directory, it should probably be
> /modules.

I do not mind /modules.  It is better than /lib{data,exec,}/modules.
However..

> (I know there's an argument that if it's /kernel we could eventually
> put other stuff in there as well besides modules; but all such uses
> are so far entirely conjectural (not even to the stage of being
> vaporware) so I think it's highly premature to plan for them at this
> point.)

Is there a reason to *not* go with /kernel, besides annoyance of it
being similar to /kern?  I think it is still a good reason that we
could put other stuff eventually.  It does not mean that we should
start putting immediately, but there is no need to limit ourselves.
On the other hand, /libdata/firmware was mentioned.  Personally, I
think it would belong to /kernel/firmware then (I guess the move can
be done in a compatible way as well).

--
Mindaugas