Re: Should kqueue descriptors work outsid of the creating process?

On Thu, 31 May 2012 14:40:44 -0400
Matthew Mondor <mm_lists%pulsar-zone.net@localhost> wrote:

> What I can see is that the implications of inheriting this special
> descriptor are quite more complex than for normal FDs...  Which makes
> me think that it very well could be a design decision not to inherit
> these, in which case I don't object to also prevent passing it via
> SCM_RIGHTS ancillary message.

When catching up with mail, I unfortunately read the PR thread after
writing this (as well as Christos's concerns about treating some FDs
differently than others).  What came to my mind was that kqueue could
have used another type of special object instead of a descriptor, but
it's too late for a change of API, and although I see some other
interfaces using such integers which aren't necessary file descriptors
(i.e. timer_create(2)), kqueue's API expects close(2) to clean it
up...
--
Matt