Re: RAIDframe performance vs. stripe size

Thanks a lot for your detailed answers.

> Yes.  Absolutely.
Fine.

> As you can see, all of those span all 4 discs.
Yes, that was perfectly clear to me. What I wasn't sure of was that the
whole stack of subsystems involved would really be able to make use of that.
Thanks for confirming it actually does.

EF> I have one process doing something largely resulting in meta-data
EF> reads (i.e. traversing a very large directory tree). Will the kernel
EF> only issue sequential reads or will it be able to parallelise, e.g.
EF> reading indirect blocks?
GO> I don't know the answer to this off the top of my head...
Oops, any file-system experts round here?

> The parallelism seen in A will still be there, but not the parallelism
> in B.
Thanks.

One last, probably stupid, question: Why doesn't one use raw devices als
RAIDframe components? Doesdn't all data pass through the buffer cache twice
when using block devices?