Re: extattr namespaces

On Mon, Feb 06, 2012 at 05:53:09PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> But if you want to have system.foo distinct from security.foo, you have
> to duplicate the namespace in the name itself, right ?

Yes, but if we want to tend forward the Linux API, this is the way
to go. You cannot add abitrary user namespaces otherwise.

> that's not a big problem; just that we won't be able to read freebsd
> extended attributes.

You wil be able to read them, but trouble will start when you will want to
modify them with an API that enforces the dot-prefixed namespace. And you
cannot strip it since you wil lnot be able to distinguish trusted.foo
and system.foo afterwards if you do that.

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
manu%netbsd.org@localhost