Re: extattr namespaces

On Mon, Feb 06, 2012 at 10:34:54AM -0600, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:
>     setextattr system md5 `md5 -q /boot/kernel/kernel` /boot/kernel/kernel

Note that the Linux style is already supported:
setextattr system.md5 `md5 -q /boot/kernel/kernel` /boot/kernel/kernel

I recall implementing it last summer, but reading the man page, it seems
lsextattr was not completed: you need to tell if you want user or
system attributes. system will give you any extattr with name starting
by system, security and trusted. user gives you everythign else.

> I would expect that one of the use cases of extended attributes is to allow
> a user to tag a file or directory with an arbitrary value.  e.g. something
> like
>     setextattr mycategory "red bucket" ./foo.txt

You can do this:
        setextattr user.mycategory "red bucket" ./foo.txt

Or even, that:
        setextattr whatever.mycategory "red bucket" ./foo.txt

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
manu%netbsd.org@localhost