Re: Lost file-system story

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 3:10 PM, Greg A. Woods <woods%planix.ca@localhost>
wrote:
> At Sun, 11 Dec 2011 23:23:33 -0500, Donald Allen
> <donaldcallen%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> Subject: Re: Lost file-system story
>>
>> How can you possibly say such a thing and hope to be taken seriously?
>> What you just said means that P(survival) = .999 is the same as
>> P(survival) = 0.
>>
>> There are a LOT of situations (e.g., mine) where P(survival) = .999
>> would be very acceptable and P(survival) = 0 would not.
>
> The manual page must not give probabilities or even speak of
> possiblities.

Even when the process the man page is describing is non-deterministic?
So you want man pages that lie?

> So, as-is you have been warned properly by the manual page.
>
> For planning purposes you _must_ expect that your filesystem will be
> damaged beyond repair after a crash and that you will have to use
> "newfs" and restore to recover.  Learn these expectations well and you
> will be happier in the long run.  Fail to learn them and you have no
> recourse but to wallow in your own sorrows.  I.e. you can't come to the
> mailing list and say that you expected something better just because you
> say you can get something better from something else entirely different.
> You have false expectations based on your experiences with entirely
> foreign environments.
>
> Maybe Humpty Dumpty can be put back together again, sometimes, but even
> if you have all the King's horses and all the King's men on call to
> respond to a disaster at a moment's notice, you must not expect that you
> can have the egg put back together successfully, even just once, even if
> it does look like just a minor crack this time.

You seem to have some pre-conceived and incorrect notions, together
with a don't-confuse-me-with-the-facts attitude. You've hit the Daily
Double.

You spoke about "happier in the long run" above. I'd suggest trying to
give more weight to reading/input and less to writing/output, and
you'll most likely be happier in the long run. No guarantees, of
course.

/Don